PREPARING FOR THE 21st CENTURY: CHALLENGES FACING A CHANGING SOCIETY
STRATEGIES AND REQUIREMENTS FOR SCHOOL LEAVERS TO BE EMPLOYED
1. Full formation, wide and within the student’s hands
Our education system gives many opportunities to students who want to have a long, diverse and complete formation (see education system table).
Once they finish compulsory education (ESO), they start a formation period which consists of the following stages:
- Spanish course of secondary for academic orientated (From 16 to 18 years old)
1. Art Spanish course of secondary for academic orientated.
2. Scientific-technological course of secondary for academic orientated.
3. Humanistic-Social Studies course of secondary for academic orientated.
It’s established a test outside of the school (PGB).
The mark of these two years will be the arithmetic mean of the students record and the test mark.
- Vocational training (from 16 to 18 years old)
- Formative cycles of medium degree
- With academic qualification:
- Without academic qualification:
The aim of the test is checking the knowledge and abilities of the applicants.
Those students that have overcome a program of social guarantee will also be able to carry out the access test to the formative cycles of medium degree.
These studies prepare the students for an job or profession. In this way, at the end of these studies, students know and use the instruments and the relative techniques appropriately, they carry out with autonomy the functions that are taken charge.
- Formative cycles of superior degree
- With academic Certification:
- Without academic certificate:
The formative cycles of high degree are an option for the students that have the high school certificate as alternative to university. They get with this qualification the incorporation into the working world. This technical-practice training leads to a certification of high level.
- Enterprises training
- To provide the university student an experience to include in their curriculum.
- To provide to the company a procedure of staff selection.
The period of training is between 3 and 9 months and they are remunerated.
The Company should name a tutor that teaches and supervises the tasks of the scholarship.
2. Teach them to get ready for the professional world:
While the students are in the formation process, they follow a program which allow them to pass the different tests that they have to take until they get a job fitting their capabilities.
· Personal project
Getting to know oneself, being conscious of one’s strengths and weaknesses, developing a positive selfconfidence.
o Knowledge of personal interests.
o Knowledge of personal attitudes
o Studies that he/she would like to do
o Knowledge of jobs which he/she would like to get
o Knowledge and worth of parents and tutors working experience
- What can you do?
- What do I want to do?
o acquiring competences in order to take decisions about one’s academic, working and social future.
o Getting to know and analysing one’s own academic itinerary
- How to fill a first job
o A job application
o A curriculum
o A job interview
1. Visit an association of different companies from different sectors (CECOT)
· Getting to know what services they offer to school leavers.
· Getting to know assessment programs for the research of the first job.
· Offering tutorial lessons in order to provide tools to improve job research.
· Getting to know the program which provides tools in order to minimize the obstacles that school leavers have, such as: social relations problems, lack of professional experience, lack of information, etc.
· Program which tries to teach the personnel selection process, techniques and aspects which have to be taken into account to pass such process.
· Individual action aimed to help those people who would like to create their own business.
2. Visit to a company
· Visit to accompany and analysis of the product, the production system, the sort of professionals who work there, the commercial aspects, labour aspects and working conditions.
3. Use of the job researching techniques mentioned in the requirements section.
· It is necessary to do a curriculum, sections, possibilities.
· How to prepare a job interview, how to answer questions about studies, interests, free questions, how to greet, etc.
4. Fluctuations of the labour market in the last years
· Provide with the knowledge of the current professional demand and the different ways to practise a profession.
· Getting to know the administrative job offers and the different information channels of job offers.
· Giving to know the different types of contracts and unemployment evolution.